It is important to secure your computer properly to prevent putting yourself and possibly your family and friends at risk. There are simple measures you can take to protect your computer and your personal information.
Protect your computer
- Operating system (eg Windows) – Regularly check your operating system is up-to-date. (You can do this by ensuring "auto updates" are enabled.) This will help protect you against online security threats such as malware
- Anti-virus software – Up-to-date anti-virus software is key in helping prevent online threats and protecting your details while performing online banking
- Web browser – An up-to-date web browser will help protect you against security threats such as malware. The latest browser version can be downloaded from your browser providers' website. (eg Microsoft if you are an Internet Explorer user or Mozilla if you are a Firefox user)
- Anti-spyware – Spyware is a form of online snooping. You can help prevent spyware by using up-to-date anti-spyware software
- Wireless connection – If you are using a home wireless network, make sure this has been set up securely. If you are using a third party network, ensure you only use a trusted and secure wireless network connection.